Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Crystal Maze, and to switch or not to switch?

Flicking through the TV channels about 6pm last night and ended up on Ftn - "The Crystal Maze" which prompted a big grin, damn it's such a good show (and no doubt provided inspiration for the lacklustre Codex), but I was thinking what would happen if someone tried to get it made now.

"So Rich what's your idea?"
"Well I thought we'd make contestants perform challenges over four different zones in order to win crystals that they can use the final fifth area to collect coupons in a sort of wind tunnel"
"Five zones? So five sets!"
"Yep and the main four will need at least 12 rooms each plus cameras in each room"
"Err okay we'll come back to that, what happens with the challenges? We get the audience to phone in and pick who plays?"
"Well I was thinking that they could pick the person and a type of game and get a fixed time to complete it, if they don't leave the room within that time they get locked in..."
"Great that's when the audience can phone in at the end of each zone to release them or perhaps lock someone else up."
"I was thinking more along the lines that they'll stay locked up unless the contestants spend a crystal to get them out."
"Hmm I don't know, we may have to change that. Anyway about these zones?"
"Yeah we'll have different themes like Aztec and Industrial..."
"I like it. Challenges can be matched up we can make them eat bugs in the Aztec zone or something"
"Well I was thinking about something a little more intellectual; anyway I was thinking that the contestants will get between the zones by climbing up walls or down pipes..."
"Woah there think of health and safety! We can just let people scramble about. Sorry Rich it sounds like a good initial concept, but I don t think it'll work the way you've got it. See if you can rework it to one set, hey maybe we can use an existing place somewhere; it also needs more audience interaction; and you've got to spice up the challenges, you know have the contestants try to find the crystal at the bottom of a hot-tub or something. Come back and see me when you've thought it over."


Blogger has left Beta so the question is do I switch over or not? Hmm Sue had so much trouble with it she ended up over at Wordpress, so I'm in two minds. It's got some nice points, but nothing that seems to make me go wow. Hmm I'll mull it over for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I used to enjoy watching the Crystal Maze. Love your updated take on it, so true! :) Have you seen any of CBB? What a farce! I have a love/hate relationship with the programme - can't help watching it sometimes, but it makes me squirm...

I'm missing a few things about Blogger, like the ability to put whatever you like in the sidebar. It's an 'optional upgrade' on Wordpress, so there are advantages & disadvantages, as ever! Have a look at Vox if you're really considering a change. Loads of templates, lots of free options... worth a look, anyway.

FlipC said...

It seems to be a fixture on Ftn at 6pm at the moment. I don't know which is more fun, Rich's antics or watching how stupid some people become under pressure? "I'm in a room with a floor covered in sand and I've got a metal detector, what do I do?" Oh and apparently I missed a repeat of the Krypton Factor last night.

As for CBB I caught five minutes of it, I know what you mean though it's like watching a car accident - the sheer awfulness of it makes you want to stay with it. Reading the papers though it seems they're having difficulties in trying to stop the 'stars' from leaving. Only recognised four of them anyway.


Thanks for the info about Wordpress etc. when I get the time (hah!) I'll switch over to the new Blogger, have a play with the new features, and basically see how it works out. I must admit it's nice to be able to essentially re-write the entire code for the template; yet another thing I've got to get around to doing.