Friday, June 25, 2010

Virus-clean a computer

A tower-box landed on my desk late this morning from DaBoss. A friend's been having trouble with the Internet can't access pages, etc. There's a virus programme on there something old from McAfee. I disable it and install AVG Free from a CD.

Resident Shield goes mad on boot and the scan shows two different trojans spread about on the computer. Now in this computer has multiple accounts so in theory only the 'naughty' person should be a problem. Trouble is said person is an Administrator with full access to the entire disk.

Damn it Microsoft you go to all the trouble to create multiple accounts for XP and then by default give everyone full privileges. Even better I didn't have the password to access the account so while DaBoss gave his friend a call I used the three-fingered-salute to bypass the pretty login page and tried as plain old Administrator without a password - straight in [sigh].

Anyway AVG is reporting it as clean now so I can send it back. Oh and he was using the latest greatest IE8 for his web browsing, don't know if that had anything to do with it but I'll slap on Firefox for him.

0 comments: