Monday, June 14, 2010

Hooty's Direct

While around that area of Kidderminster I managed to pop into the new Hooty's Direct that opened up on the old Littlewoods' site. What's it like? Well put it like this if this store and the B&M at the old Waitrose site decided to swap places I doubt anyone would notice.

Not that I'm disrespecting it. It fills a niche and having another one opens up competition in those odds and ends type products that Woolworths used to do.

[Update - someone's mentioned they have an upstairs too, which Littlewood's had and I vaguely recall seeing in the paper. However I didn't see the access so I'll look next time.]

[Update 21/6 - Yes it does, not exactly obvious. The stairs are in the far left corner and the escalator on the right can only be seen if you walk away from the tills. Not much up there, linen, candles and lots of frames some even containing pictures!]

I left empty-handed this time, but it had enough of an odd range to suggest 'throwaway' toys for Chewie or Devil Child and I even contemplated Star Wars Risk for Bratus Major. I did give an involuntary shudder at the thought of buying one of the plastic guns for either of the Bratii such was the degree of the lesson imparted by the last time either were gifted one.

Anyway I'll be seeing them next week, just got to think of something to occupy them while I'm there. Can't take the board games due to a) space and b) losing all the pieces; and there's nowhere to walk to unlike around here. I suppose if the weather's fine I can get them to take me down to the river and the cattle site where the new Tesco is awaiting permission to be built. That's the trouble with a Sunday, barely anything open. Oo oo I haven't visited the town museum; hell yeah that'll kill an hour.

0 comments: