Monday, February 16, 2009

Close call

Heading into town past the OGL island and up towards Mitton Street I slowed as I approached the bend and spotted a long bus heading down from Gilgal. "They always have trouble", I thought. "Better slow down and give it the lead".

Damn good job I did. They didn't even slow down - straight down the lane hanging over the edge of my lane, then straight into my lane (indicating though) so as to pull in at the bus stop. If I hadn't have slowed down (which legally I had no need to do) I wouldn't have the front, or at least the side, of my car any more. Seriously, no exaggerating for effect here the best I could have done was swerved up the pavement and hope I didn't hit Anglo House.

Something's really got to be done about that corner.

After that brush with death it was almost a pleasure to get stuck in High Street. I turned the corner from York Street into High Street (again my priority in that lane) and couldn't move thanks to a car half-parked up on the pavement, then a car in front of that, then a security van loading in front of that, then a gap, then a big lorry loading up too. I choose my words carefully - parking and loading as in no occupants and/or rear doors open.

Ahem double yellow lines and single yellow kerb markings - no bloody parking and no bloody loading between 11am and 3pm; what are you illiterate? Of course none of our wardens around surprise, surprise. Okay if the two parked cars had blue badges they're legit, but not the other two. What's the point of having these restrictions if they're just ignored?

0 comments: