Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A remote name and shame

While watching Central Tonight last night they had a report on the problem's being faced by farmers with all this rain. Although obviously something to be concerned about my attention was sparked by the introduction showing the amount of rain that had fallen.

To be precise it was the shot of a Land Rover type vehicle towing a trailer heading through deep water on a busy road.

Point 1: The car had no licence plate on the trailer - "Trailers are required to have legal number plates manufactured by a licensed number plate manufacturer."

Point 2: The vehicle threw up enough water spray to reach the roof of the car driving past him, the vehicles following produced enough spray to reach the tops of the tyres. IOW driving too fast.

Point 3: His licence plate was visible for a second and I thought "That's not right" - VB2 UAY (to be precise VB2 new line UAY) and you can't have that it'd be VB02 UAY. Maybe I read it wrong perhaps it was V82 UAY, so I rewound and played it again definitely seems a straight line on the '8' to me.

Ssss I've tried to confirm this with the catch-up on the web it only works properly with IE and the pausing is bloody useless the direct link to the news story is here if it's bloody running, there's an advert first and the bit I'm talking about is at 10:35; and I can't capture the image.

Anyway you can see the trailer and you can see the spray so that's still two things at fault.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't get it to work with Giggle Crone (Google Chrome), partly because the Central News website thinks I'm using Firefix (Firefox). Then searching for Windows Muddle Player (Windows Media Player) for Giggle Crone (Google Chrome)at Port25 gives me a 'Access Denied' error!
I'll stick with Internet Exploder (Internet Explorer).

Anonymous said...

I tried it in Iceweasel and it started to bring the thing up and then decided to display a message telling me I had cookies turned off, which I don't. It helpfully displays information on what cookie it was trying to set, so I see it was a third-party cookie, which are disallowed by default in Iceweasel for privacy reasons. I guess MSIE must allow them, otherwise they'd notice their site is broken.

FlipC said...

Sadly the entire video panel is served via narrowstep.tv and doesn't allow you to extract the video files themselves or I'd pointed to them.

Firefox occasionally works, Opera didn't and IE did most of the time, which doesn't say much for this business.