Friday, September 12, 2008

Fun with computers

So I'm configuring a laptop with Vista Home Premium on it. Connect to the wireless network, oh look there it is and it's a Security enabled one too. Nope you can't connect because you haven't added in the necessary security details. Oh no don't bother asking me if I want to do so now, just come back with a flat refusal and make me dig around on my own to find out how to add them in.

Anyway connected and downloading updates. Shut down and install 1 of 23 (After all this is at least a week old). Restart and oh now it has to configure the updates - Stage 1 of 3: 0%.

... 0%
... 0%
... 0%
... 0%
... 0%
... 33%

Um excuse me what happened to 1- 32%, what the **** is the point of having a percentage to show if you don't bother with it.

Stage 2 blips through then "Shutting down" Eh what? Everything goes black except for a couple of lights. I wait and then just as I reach for the power button it restarts. Yeah that's called "Restarting" and not "Shutting Down".

Oh look now it's got to Stage 3 of configuration - gah!

Ah now what's been pre-installed - Onion? Ah well open it up and oo a EULA oookay oddly enough I'm not going to accept it when I don't know what the hell the programme does. (Taking a look it appears to be a IM client)

Oh joy it also comes with the Acer security programme that adds three annoying icons to the main bar of every Explorer window. I go to the Acer Security Management programme to remove them, but first it wants me to accept a EULA for installing it. Fortunately on closer inspection it appears to be just a toolbar so a right-click and untick solves that.

Okay I'm an IT guy I can get around these things, but this is Home Vista if I'm getting annoyed what would the average newbie be like?

0 comments: