Friday, May 11, 2007

Town updates

Well the bridge lights seemed to be in 'Clear the town' mode, as a result a 60+ queue on one side and a whopping 6 car queue on the other. Stuck in the queue to town I marvelled at the long swathes of nothing that passed me going the other way.

The crew on the bridge seemed to blessing the road, using a scoop to throw some fine particulate onto the surface; good job it's not as windy as it has been. I'm still curious as the ironwork paint scheme, I've already mentioned that I assumed the beige was an undercoat for the gold, but it's been like that for some time now. I do hope it really is gold i.e. a shiny metallic colour, but why wasn't it 'finished' while under cover?


32 page - 8 sheet wraparound on yesterday's Shuttle all full of excitement at tomorrow's Wembley match for the Kidderminster Harriers; of almost zero interest to me the only ponderables being - firstly how can you fill 32 newspaper sized pages regarding one match; and secondly this should make the towns and surrounding areas very quiet come 2pm. 24,000 people was the number I heard bandied about, which to put in perspective is greater then the population of this town or about a quarter of the entire district. Assuming those figures and that a fair majority will be either staying in or heading to a sports bar to watch it on Sky Sports1... very quiet indeed.


Just to prove that you can get some stuff done in one day the new bus shelter in High Street seems to be up. At first glance it looks a little incongruous might just be me being used to the old concrete slab affair. I'll grab some pictures this weekend. Hopefully it won't end up a fiasco like one on Hermitage Way where they fitted it and had to come back twice because it wasn't level or leaked or something, big joke being everyone still wants this bloody stop moved from the inside curve of the bend so they build a new shelter - priceless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you ever disbelieve that things can be put up remarkably quickly when there is money behind them, just watch builders putting up a McDonald's. They're all entirely prefabricated, and arrive in a few pieces on the back of a low-loader bigger than my flat. A few men appear and rivet them together like a piece of Ikea furniture, and cement the whole into the ground. A few people come and put up the pictures and arrange the furniture and cooking equipment, and it's ready to go almost immediately.

Tavis Pitt said...

“but why wasn't it 'finished' while under cover?”

The cover was for the sand/water blasting, to protect cars and pedestrians. It also prevented the river from becoming contaminated. I guess the undercoat was put on quickly afterwards on the bare metal to provide some protection. I also believe it would be better to apply the gold paint (yes I think we are getting that!) out in the open, the painters can then see where they have painted in the light of the day.

FlipC said...

Dan it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest I bet there's an iron-clad contract in place with penalties if they stray 5 minutes over the deadline.

Tav good to hear from you I hope the crisis is settled. I wouldn't have expected the cover to block the light that much and it certainly would have stopped anything being blown onto the wet paint. Ah well it's a moot point it now appears to be gold (Photo uploaded).