Thursday, May 17, 2007

Dopey evening

So I've been battling a cold since Monday the origin of which I'll blame on my father who I officially dub Sir Sneezalot.

"Hi dad"
Atchooo "Sorry got a cold"
steps back from germ laden air and wipes self down "Really?"

Ah I exaggerate he's not that bad and he only sneezes like that when he's caught off-guard, which seems to be about 90% of the time I'm around.

So anyway sore throat, leads to less sore throat and stuffy nose leads, last night, to bunged-up and coughing. As is my wont I went to pour myself some apple juice. I got a glass, opened the fridge, got the container and started to pour very carefully (because the spouts on these things are useless and it gulps and drops into the glass with a giant splash which spills out and I'm heading way off-thread here)

Brain fizzles 'That's not right'
stop pouring 'It's white'
...
'Apple juice isn't white'
hold up hand with milk carton in it
'Ah that makes sense'

It's silly stuff we've probably all done when we're distracted, except I wasn't distracted. I'd just zoned out. 'I'll think I'll stay in tonight'

So come 7pm and I'm dropping off to sleep. Not a good idea, television will distract me. Freeview with 30+ channels and bugger all worth watching; wonderful.

I could watch a DVD or something I've recorded. Hmm well if it's new I'd have to pay attention and last time I tried that in this state everyone's voices started getting deeper and slower and I'd suddenly realise I didn't know what had happened in the last ten minutes. Something old and I wouldn't have to pay any attention and I'd drop off.

How about a book? Yeah well then I'd have to concentrate on deciphering those squiggly things.

A game, hah I'd be dead inside of ten seconds with my current reflexes and a slower paced one won't help in staying awake.

DVD wins, but then my brain chimes in 'You're thirsty', "Coffee?", 'Sounds good... Coffee's in the kitchen', "Uh-huh" 'You're not in the kitchen', "Uh-huh", 'I think you're going to have to move', "Yeah"...'Soooo?' "Yeah I'm working on it"

Coffee returning some basic functionality so now it was time to pick something to watch, something I'd seen before, but with enough action or similar to keep everything ticking over without stressing the system into having to cogitate. Narrowed it down to The Matrix, MiB, or Bill & Ted? Hmm a decision to make - eeney meeny mineey mo. So I went with Shrek. Yeah I know; see I can't even present myself with multiple options without plumping for the one not on the list.

Well it did the job, kept me awake. Decent enough laughs tied with good music prodded my brain to life enough that I could knock off a few chapters of Woken Furies before rendering myself unconscious.

The mild fever must have broke in the night I woke up to watch the water dripping horizontally off the shelves. No not got a clue what that was about.

Anyway I'm still a tad dopey, still a bit bunged up and coughy; but a hell of a lot better then I was and I'm all tooled up with Lockets; though it might just be me but they don't half make me burp.

0 comments: