Monday, March 05, 2007

Uncharitable thought, and some other bits.

I had this thought several days ago, it was the reactions of others that's prompted me to post it. It is, yet again, about the skate-park. I know I know, but if someone doesn't keep on about it everyone will think it's all settled.

If you've been reading my previous entries you'll know I've proposed an alternative to the planned site. I don't know if it was already rejected and if so for what reason so, playing devil's advocate, I tried to think of some.

Close to the playground? Well it's not as close, but it's still next to it and certainly closer then the Old Beams site; so I doubt it's that.

Emergency access? It's next to the car-park so it actually has better access then the paddling pool site; so no again.

Ownership of land? Though this is the same site where the carnival sets itself up it is possible that it's owned privately, I don't think so; still a possibility.

Public view, anti-social, police patrols? Although not as public as the paddling pool site a doubt has to be cast on that site's level of display. Although visible from a foot patrol it would remain hidden from a car-patrol. The car-park site would be slightly more visible from the bridge if proper lighting were introduced. I would also be surprised if the police didn't patrol nearby as this is the site of the Civic Centre.

Then the uncharitable thought struck me; the Civic Centre. The same centre with the rumours that a hotel is to be built on that site. If you built a skate-park where I suggested it would spoil the view of the riverside from this area.

As I say a nasty thought and unbelievable; until I mentioned it to several people jokingly. They would laugh for a bit, then stop, think about it, and say "You know you're probably right". I'm not sure which is scarier - that I had this thought, or the level of trust being shown to our elected officials.


Traffic through town was horrendous on Saturday, heading to Kidderminster stuck next to Dunley Road I turned around and went through Holt Fleet instead, completely clear roads in that direction. Coming back I got stuck in Mitton Street and ended up looping through to New Street instead. Talking to others it appears to have been like this all day. This morning I note that one lane of Lion Hill has been closed off, with this particular lane, in theory, this should make the traffic flow more smoothly not less. I also note that the filled-in potholes in both York Street and Bridge Street have become filled-out potholes again; felt like I almost lost a tyre on Sunday. I'd hate to be a motorcyclist on a dark night.


I've been playing a couple of my older games on the PS2 lately; the Ratchet and Clank series. They all still tickle my funny bone at times; playing the third in the series a message came over the PA system "Due to increased security restrictions thermonuclear warheads and nail-clippers will not be allowed as carry-on luggage" I just burst out laughing.

2 comments:

Tavis Pitt said...

It’s up to the apolitical public (particularly with the power of the blog) to ask the unspoken question, think the uncharitable thought, say the unspoken speech, write the unwritten words, etc…

FlipC said...

Thanks, though for a minute I thought you were about to break out into "The Impossible Dream" :-)