Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Badly in need of a hyphen.

An email came through from a friend with a list of company names and their accompanying websites. Some I've seen before, but a couple are new to me.

"Who Represents" find the agent for a celebrity at www.whorepresents.com, perhaps a special treat for your child's party.

"Experts Exchange" message board/knowledge base for computer users at www.expertsexchange.com. Because in some matters you want an expert.

Don't be fooled by imitators get just the right pen at "Pen Island" visit www.penisland.net I'm after something slim and retractable please.

Troubles getting you down? Find a local therapist at www.therapistfinder.com I'm sure there are plenty in your area.

When you think of Italian power generation think www.powergenitalia.com, Keeping things charged up.

Looking for plants in New South Wales? Visit the Mole Station Native Nursery at www.molestationnursery.com Tell a friend about us.

Find God at the "Cumming First Methodist Church", www.cummingfirst.com God can help with all of life's problems.

What is the "Speed of Art" I don't know and after clicking on www.speedofart.com I still don't

Now I say use a hyphen, I never used to though. When picking names I'd always advise against it. "It's X hyphen Y dot com" would invariably produce "What's a hyphen?"; say "dash" and people still got confused, say "minus" and they'd query it. Even if you managed to explain what it was they'd then have to find it on the keyboard. Now however it seems that people are giving up typing URLs directly into the address bar, they've either got them saved as a Favo(u)rite or more commonly just type the company name into Google or Yahoo!. The down-side to hyphens have pretty much gone away now.

0 comments: