Monday, February 14, 2011

Stourport to Kidderminster speed changes

I hope everyone has noticed the new speed limits on the dual-carriageway route from Stourport to Kidderminster and back. Highly publicised weren't they?

For those (I'm guessing the majority) who haven't noticed the derestricted zone now starts and ends at the Birchen Coppice end of the dual track it's now a 40mph zone on the Kidderminster side. Now I've pointed out in the past the cars zipping past at the traffic lights into Kidderminster and suddenly discovering the two lanes become one with no warning other than a couple of painted arrows and that most tended to treat this switch from two to one lane as a speed change anyway. In that respect it's fine.



However as a result heading into Stourport the zone starts some way into the dual-track; so it is now more difficult to overtake a stationary queue of traffic using the dual-lane lead-up and stay within the limit. I can see why this has been done and to a large extent I approve I'm just curious as to why it starts so far back rather than at the lights?

In any case I can see this being ignored as 'everyone'  knows it's a 70/60 in much the same way everyone ignored the Worcester Road switch 50-40-30 becoming a 50-30 and just carried on at 40 until the residential part starts (where the old 30 limit started).

I just thought I'd give fair warning those who use this route.

0 comments: