Starting back from an AutoSave thanks to the Natural Camouflage glitch gave me a chance to properly configure my Gene Tonic loadout. Unlike its predecessor there are no set tracks that you have to fit tonics to, which means no more juggling over which type of tonic to load up.
This is based on having all 18 slots bought.
The non-movables - Once you get these you'll never remove them.
- Natural Camouflage. Awarded by fully researching Houdini splicers so get the camera out as soon as you reach
PersephoneDionysus Park. Stand still and disappear; hack machines, fail and hack the security bots that come to investigate for a couple of instant bodyguards.
- Fountain of Youth. Awarded by fully researching Spider splicers. Stand in a pool of water and watch health and EVE levels replenish, stand in a pool under a waterfall and watch them shoot up. Combine with Natural Camouflage and you can just stand and watch your enemies walk by as you rebuild your health.
- Damage Research. Well you're researching splicers for the best tonics, so might as well get the most bang-for-your-buck. Increases the damage bonuses awarded for research. Does not need to be equipped during said research to work.
- EVE-link. A simple one, but occasionally a life-saver. First-aid kits also restore some EVE, not much but it can be as if you've 7 syringes instead of 5.
- Cure-all. Another simple one. Health stations fully restore EVE as well as health. As even a non-hacked station costs less to use than a first-aid kit or EVE syringe, it leaves you more money for the important things in life; like ammunition.
- Eve-Saver 1 & 2. Does what it says on the tin. Plasmids use less EVE meaning you can shock, fry, fling and freeze to your heart's content.
- Armoured Shell 1 & 2. If they do manage to reach you make sure they do less damage with these tough tonics.
- Elemental Storm. Awarded for fully researching the Alpha series. If they do reach you make sure they regret it. Combines the Electrical, Fire, and Ice Storm tonics to give anyone who hits you a random blast.
- Drill Power 1 & 2. You might like the ranged weapons but they cost ammo. Sure the drill uses fuel when you spin it, but a quick smack uses no-fuel and delivers a hefty blow.
- Handyman. Watched your two hacked bots getting into a fight and coming out the worse for wear. Don't hack for some more, repair them at a small EVE cost.
Optionables - Useful but not essential.
- Medical Expert. Carry one more first aid kit.
- EVE Expert. Carry one more EVE syringe.
- Scrounger. Don't like what's on offer from looting change it. Might not so good a deal, but it beats those 'empty' crates.
- Thrifty Hacker. One to possibly keep installed. Hacked machines offer a 10% discount.
Specialised - Load these up for specific events.
- Extended Reel, Keen Observer 1 & 2. Make sure get the research rewards as quickly as possible then dump these tonics.
- Vending Expert 1 & 2. Gives you a 10% and 15% discount at Circus of Value machines. Stacks to create a 25% discount. combine with Thrifty hacker for 35%. Use when you're stocking up.
- Hurried Hacker, EZ-Hack, Hacker's Delight 1 & 2 Careful Hacker 1 & 2. When you've got a chance to relax and hack some machines make it easier and get some EVE back too
- Deadly Machines, Hardy Machines. Going to hack some bots or turrets? Make them tougher and deadlier.
- Proud Parent, Demanding Father. Ready to let the Little Sister do some collecting? Get more ADAM and at a faster rate.
- Drill Specialist. Laying down charge Cyclone Traps ready for a collection? Use this tonic to keep the EVE cost down, then swap it back out when you're ready to start.
Useful at a pinch - Useful at the beginning of the game and still occasionally useful if you've nothing better
- Booze Hound. Plenty of booze around, and now it'll restore some EVE as well as health. Doesn't mitigate the doubled-vision though.
- Freezing Drill. Keep them pinned longer under the drill and gain a chance to freeze and shatter them. Shattering removes any chance of loot though.
- Electrical Storm, Fire Storm. Freebie tonics to find and use until you gain Elemental Storm.
The Don't buy list. These will cost you ADAM and pretty much are a waste of time.
- Drill Lurker. Makes you quieter, increases melee damage on unaware opponents? Just shoot them in the head from a distance instead.
- Electric Flesh. Zero damage from enemies electrical attacks and more damage from your attacks. What enemies electrical attacks? Besides zap'em and twonk 'em and down they go
- Extra Nutrition. More health from snacks. Are you really that needful of this that you can't use a hacked med station?
- Headhunter. Head shots do more damage. Upgraded shotgun blast to the head seems to work just as fine.
- Ice Storm. Why bother when you can get Elemental Storm for free?
- Machine Buster, Security Evasion, Short Circuit 1 & 2. Hey you should be hacking them to get them to work for you not destroying them.
- Shorten Alarms 2. Version 1's a freebie so use that if you haven't got Natural Camouflage and are useless at hacking
- Walking Inferno. Oo more fire damage and less damage taken. The only enemies flinging fire about you can dodge. [Update - as mentioned in the comments this will boost damage from Inferno, the fully upgraded Rivet Gun and Phosphorus Buck; if those are your go-to weapons of choice this could be worth it]
- Arms Race. More ammo from loot? Not enough to warrant taking up a slot.
- Drill Vampire. Gain health from using the drill on someone, are you really that desperate for health at times to keep this loaded?
- Elemental Sponge. Get hit by elemental attacks and get EVE. Worth it only if you get hit a lot.
- Elemental Vampire. Use a level 3 elemental Plasmid and get health back. Like Arms Race not enough to be worth the slot.
- Shorten Alarms 1. Well it cuts down on the number of waves of attacking bots, but if you're that bad at hacking use the auto-hack darts or just don't bother.
- Sports Boost. Barely noticeable speed difference.
And that's the lot.