Monday, November 27, 2006

Stourport Procession

I arrived fashionably late, but hadn't missed much as I was greeted by the plaintive cries of cars penned beyond their reason. They'd stopped the traffic on the town side of the bridge causing it to trail through the roadworks gumming them up, at last a copper came down to quieten things down. The procession was hitting High Street by the time I got there so I made my way through the throng and nipped down York Street to head it off. Traffic was backed up along here too and this meant Lion Hill was also stalled, people had tried to cut off the corner and were themselves now trapped.

The procession made its way down Lion Hill past the stalled traffic and got stuck rounding the corner. It got past the junction with everyone trailing behind and set up camp at the Civic Centre. I headed that way and took a couple of snaps of the funfair before my rechargable batteries conked out on me. One purchase later and I got back in time for the end of the carols.

Oh and on the way to the buy I noticed a laminated A4 piece of paper attached to a lamppost in New Street detailing when the roads would be closed, so that would be the pedestrians notified; personally I think it would have been better to tell the drivers instead.

So anyway back to the service. I switched to movie mode and panned the crowd, quite a few had turned out, surprising as it had been raining before the procession had started and had only trailed off just as it was beginning. Aiming for a better vantage point I switched sides and took another film. Halfway through, after some movement alerted me, I realised I was focused on the wrong thing. I was looking at the brightly lit people at the ground floor when I should have been paying attention to the dim black blobs on the balcony above.

After whipping up the crowd for the countdown the two Christmas trees were turned on, I panned around; nope that was it. After that people crossed over the road, dodging the leaving traffic in St. Martins Way, to the funfair; or just left. I didn't stay long after that and heading back just as it was starting to rain again.

Okay a lot of people turned up, the procession was good, the traffic could have been handled better. A bit of organisation on the balcony would have been in order and some lights in the car-park. Some temporary barriers put up across the side of the funfair would have directed people to the safe entrance (as opposed to sliding down the short but steep bank) and preventing parking in the top smaller car-park next to the steps (if possible) as people were getting jammed up there making their way down. As was foretold the cafes were open, but of course they were all on the other side of the funfair next to the main road. All in all it was pretty good, just a little more forward planning needed.

Update Turning on of the lights video now with sound :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that excellent coverage of the procession - I was in Kidderminster doing something else and missed all the fun! Great photo's, too!

Anonymous said...

I liked your attempts at photographing the fairground: it takes a lot of practice to get them looking perfect, but I'd say you're off to a good start. Supposedly the best shutter speed for taking pictures of moving rides is 1/15 sec. This gets you some nice curves for traditional rides with flashing bulbs, but on the more futuristic rides with computer-controlled tubes, it can look even more psychedelic, on account of the electronics scanning the lights at a few daHz, or the fluorescent tubes strobing at about that frequency. A good example can be found on my website. The linked picture was taken with a 1/15sec exposure on ISO 100. (The full-size image has EXIF tags with all the details.)

Anonymous said...

Many Thanks for your suggestions re my blogging/commenting problem, FlipC. It seems to be just typepad blogs that are the problem at the moment, which I think may be part of the Beta set-up. So, I'm looking into either moving away from blogger altogether, or starting a new (old) blogger blog.
You're only the second person I've met online from Stourport, it's quite strange knowing you're just up the road somewhere, as I'm usually talking to the US or Canada these days.
You weren't in Kidderminster at the weekend by any chance, taking pictures of the New Meeting Hall? Don't worry, I wasn't there, but I am curious.
Thanks again for your very useful advice. Hope to catch you again soon.

FlipC said...

suzie: Did you go to the choral evening in Kiddy instead? I must admit to being torn - the times were a little too tight. I popped over last weekend between 11 and 2ish so missed the fancy dress parade. I was getting very bored as it was very quiet for that time of day, it also seemed that most people didn't know what was going on. I'd have thought they'd have put some prominent notices around town detailing the forthcoming events, but alas no.

Yes I was taking pictures of the New Meeting Hall, spooky; got some nice snaps of the doors, yet to be sorted and uploaded though. I'll write about it all tomorrow perhaps once I get the pictures up and can link them.

Typepad is not something familiar to me so I can't comment I'm afraid (heh which is exactly the problem you're have)

daniel: My first real attempts at slow shutter work, I really want a tripod; should have mugged the professional photographer who also had a camera the length of my forearm. Sadly almost every surface around the area is curved, nothing flat except for some fence posts which are too low.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll bear in mind next time and hopefully I'll get some shots as good as yours.